General Information on the upcoming Cocos Islands 4G LTE Network
Please note that this is the initial Draft.
The main aims of the network are to:
- Provide a 4G LTE data service for residents and visitors.
- Provide 4G LTE network coverage for the majority of the main Cocos Islands atoll and lagoon, including ferry routes across the lagoon.
Connection options to the Network. These include to use either:
- SIM card for the local network direct in phone
- 4G LTE WiFi Router (aka MiFi or Dongle) – small network device that has SIM card inside and provides a WiFi network for your device (phone, iPad, laptop) to connect to.
Calling options on the 4G LTE Data Service are:
- All “chat apps” are supported. These include:
- Skype (can make and receive phone calls with a traditional number)
- Whatsapp, Telegram, Signal, Viber, WeChat etc. Note that these Apps may need to be preregistered on your phone via your mainland mobile number.
- Voice over IP – IOTT can provide a 08 9130 88xx number that can be used on your mobile (via a 3rd party App). Separate billing for number and outbound calls may apply. Free calls between on-island phones.
- WiFi calling – only available if using a MiFi device
- The network will NOT have Voice over LTE (VoLTE) capability or SMS. This means your standard phone dialer will not work and there will be no 04 numbers available.
VoLTE may be a future possibility, however is not in the initial project scope.
- Pricing has not yet been finalised.
- Reduced rate plans will be available for Cocos Islands residents and island based businesses.
- Visitors will be able to rent a MiFi device and purchase pre-paid data.