Cocos Islands 4G LTE Network
Please scroll to the bottom of this page for the Pre-Application Registration link.
- Provide a 4G LTE data service for residents and visitors.
- Provide 4G LTE network coverage for the majority of the main Cocos Islands atoll and lagoon, including ferry routes across the lagoon.
Connection options to the Network. These include to use either:
- SIM card for the local network direct in phone (Residents only)
- 4G LTE WiFi Router (aka MiFi or Dongle) – small network device that has SIM card inside and provides a WiFi network for your device (phone, iPad, laptop) to connect to. Visitors &/or Residents
- Handsets need to be Network Unlocked
- Most handsets compatible
- Suggest eSIM compatible phone for mainland phone number portability
Calling options on the 4G LTE Data Service are:
- eSIM using Mobile Data – See below
- WiFi calling – available if using a MiFi device (see below)
- Skype – can also have a traditional number to receive phone calls on
- Chat apps. These include:
- Messenger, Whatsapp, Telegram, Signal, Viber, WeChat etc. Note that these Apps may need to be preregistered on your phone via your mainland mobile number.
- The network will NOT have Voice over LTE (VoLTE) capability or SMS. This means your standard phone dialer will not work and there will be no 04 numbers available.
VoLTE may be a future possibility, however is not in the initial project scope.
- Voice over IP – See below
Monthly Pricing for Post-Paid Accounts (Cocos Residents only):
- Residential/Small Business 5GB – $25
- Residential/Small Business 10GB – $45
- Corporate 5GB – $45
- Corporate 10GB – $65
Residential/Small Business Plans listed above only for Cocos Islands residents and island based businesses.
Initial Account set up & SIM card cost – $30 residents, $50 Corporate
PrePaid – Visitors can rent a MiFi device and purchase pre-paid data from the Cocos Community Resource Centre (CRC). Contact CRC on email@example.com to pre-arrange.
eSIM using Mobile Data
Telstra, Optus, and Vodafone all allow you to use an eSIM instead of a physical SIM if you have a compatible device, such as an iPhone XS, Samsung S20 or Pixel 3 or newer. If you opt for an eSIM, this keeps your physical SIM slot free for a Cocos 4G SIM. This essentially turns your phone into a dual SIM phone. You can get an eSIM for your compatible phone at a Telstra Shop, more info here
Example image below is an iPhone XS with a Telstra eSIM on the Cocos 4G network. Telstra mobile calls are possible over the Cocos 4G network.
WiFi Calling (General Info)
Telstra have announced that WiFi SMS is now available.
For info & to check if you have a compatible handset please see Telstra WiFi Calling & SMS
How to Enable SMS Over Wifi On iPhone
- Upgrade to the latest iOS 13.4 or higher
- Settings > General > About
- Your device will have already updated the carrier settings or it will ask you to
- Restart your device
- To check it has worked, go to Settings > General > About > Service Provider and the IMS says ‘Voice and SMS
IOTT VoIP (residents only)
IOTT can provide a 08 9130 88xx number that can be used on your mobile (via a 3rd party App). Separate billing for number and outbound calls will apply.
$20 per month including all calls to Australian Landline & Mobile numbers.
Free calls between other IOTT VoIP numbers.
Example below is showing setup using BRIA (VoIP) App setup with 08 9130 8880 number. 2nd image shows lower than default refresh interval to assist keeping the VoIP number online.